Master Wellness Volunteers 2017
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nancy: Week 2; Question 3

2 posters

Go down

Nancy: Week 2; Question 3 Empty Nancy: Week 2; Question 3

Post by Nancy Wilson Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:56 pm

In probing the issue of eating out, I came across the history of nutrition and calorie labeling in restaurants. I learned that as part of the Affordable Care Act, rules were put in place requiring restaurant chains with more than 20 stores to provide calorie information regarding their regular food offerings "to enable consumers to make informed decisions within the context of nutrition regarding foods they purchase in a restaurant."

The rule was published for public comment before it was enacted. Comments from those opposed seemed to cover every tactic in the book to prevent this requirement--even suggesting that such knowledge could adversely affect people with eating disorders..... Many comments suggested that the public would not pay any attention. I am curious to research to see what effects have been measured since enactment.

Nancy Wilson

Back to top Go down

Nancy: Week 2; Question 3 Empty Re: Nancy: Week 2; Question 3

Post by Admin Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Interesting points, Nancy...I'd like to know too! I'm amazed at the various ways you see the information provided. Some places post the nutrition information on the menu, some provide the information online, while others require you to ask for the information before you receive a handout and many times the employees aren't aware that it exists. It's becoming more common and I feel like people are more in-tune with what they're eating but that might be because of my job that I feel that way. Smile
-Courtney
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://masterwellness2017.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nancy Wilson Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:47 pm

A quick search of research available on the net seems to indicate that the biggest impact of the legislation is that restaurants are offering healthier choices. Slight reductions in calories were noted among customers' orders initially, but the benefits did not seem to be long-lasting. Some impact is better than no impact--and shaming the restaurants into improving their offerings seems like a definite win!

Nancy Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down